- “Without immediate funding, the Tribunal will not be able to operate beyond July 2021,” the Netherlands-based court said
The Special Tribunal for Lebanon, which tries suspects over the 2005 Beirut bombing that killed former premier Rafic Hariri and 21 others, risks closure over severe funding shortfalls, it warned Wednesday.
“Without immediate funding, the Tribunal will not be able to operate beyond July 2021,” the Netherlands-based court said in a statement, describing its current financial crisis as “unprecedented.”
The shutdown would affect the court’s ability to conclude the two cases currently before it, the STL said.
The tribunal, which draws 51 percent of its budget from donor countries and the rest from Lebanon, said that “the challenging circumstances generated by the global COVID-19 pandemic and the concerning situation in Lebanon” had already forced it to slash its 2021 budget by 37 percent compared to previous years.
Lebanon is in the grip of a severe economic crisis, with the World Bank saying Tuesday that it was likely to rank among the world’s worst financial crises since the mid-19th century.
Born out of a UN Security Council resolution, the court last year sentenced Hezbollah suspect Salim Ayyash in absentia to life imprisonment over the huge 2005 truck bombing.
The 57-year-old remains on the run, with Hassan Nasrallah, the head of the Shiite Hezbollah movement, refusing to hand him over or to recognize the court’s authority.
The court said in April that Ayyash cannot appeal his life sentence unless he hands himself in.
Prosecutors have appealed against the acquittal of three other suspects, also in absentia.
Sunni billionaire Hariri, who had stepped down as Lebanon’s prime minister in October 2004, was killed in the February 2005 suicide blast targeting his armored convoy.
The attack killed 22 people, injuring 226.
The TSL is due in June to open a separate case against Ayyash over three attacks targeting politicians.
“While the STL is grateful for the UN’s significant support, other indicated contributions remain outstanding and the STL falls short of funds to carry out its judicial functions,” the statement said.
“The STL is highly distressed by the impact of this situation on the victims of the attacks within its jurisdiction, who placed their hope and trust in international criminal justice,” it added.
“For Lebanon, the international community and victims of terror, the STL’s proceedings establish important facts, recognize the harm suffered by the victims and Lebanese society, and send a strong message globally that terrorism will not go unpunished.”
US charges Sam Bankman-Fried with defrauding investors
The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has charged Sam Bankman-Fried with "orchestrating a scheme to defraud investors" in the failed cryptocurrency exchange FTX. The former FTX boss was arrested on Monday. Mr Bankman-Fried built a "house of cards on a...
Medina County Scam Squad coming to residents’ rescue
Both local and widespread scams have been claiming victims for years, continuing to increase and change as technology and other factors evolve. To combat this, the Medina County Office of Older Adults and the Medina County Prosecutor’s Office have worked together to...
Ohio man who hid camera in bathroom to record children sentenced to 20 years in prison
A federal judge sentenced a man to 20 years in prison for creating child pornography, including using a hidden camera in a bathroom to secretly record children. Timothy Wright, 50, of Dublin, Ohio, also will spend 10 years on supervised released once he completes his...
Submit your event
We will be happy to share your events. Please email us the details and pictures at email@example.com
P.O. Box: 311001 Independance, Ohio, 44131
+1 (216) 269 3272