Maharat Foundation and Madanyat Association work with UN Women to monitor television and social media concerning violence against women in politics in the period prior to the 2022 parliamentary elections.
This summary provides a quick overview of the findings during the months of February and March.
– The accounts of 23 candidates and activists in the public field were monitored on Twitter and Facebook in the time period between February 1 and March 31, 2022.
– A total of 723 comments, divided between 101 comments and responses during the month of February and 622 comments and responses during the month of March, included online violence against female candidates and activists in the public field on their posts and tweets on their personal Facebook and Twitter.
– Monitoring results in March showed that 8% of the comments on the posts of the monitored candidates and activists manifested some form of violence, and the other 92% of the comments did not include violence.
– The distribution of online violence during the months of February and March was between sexual violence and psychological violence, with a greater percentage of psychological violence. Most of the violence came from regular users, with the exception of two comments that included online violence against women in politics by one of the candidates.
– Online bullying came at the forefront of forms of online violence against women in politics, followed by violence based on appearance, then harassment and threats of a sexual nature, bias against women, threats and intimidation.
A US court of appeals has ruled that cases against Lebanese commercial banks can be tried outside Lebanon, paving the way for more cases by depositors seeking to unlock their frozen funds. The court decision, issued on Thursday in a case brought by Lebanese depositors...
We are living in the age of cynicism, when everyone seems jaded, as if nothing surprises us anymore. So, when something does deliver more than you’d expect, it’s a genuine delight. Such is the case with 2023 Hyundai Elantra Hybrid Limited compact sedan, starting...
The Biden administration has reversed a decades-old decision to revoke the security clearance of Robert Oppenheimer, the physicist called the father of the atomic bomb for his leading role in World War II’s Manhattan Project. U.S. Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm...
Submit your event
We will be happy to share your events. Please email us the details and pictures at firstname.lastname@example.org
P.O. Box: 311001 Independance, Ohio, 44131
+1 (216) 269 3272